| Card Security
Card security for your HSBC credit and debit cards
At HSBC, we make every effort to protect you and your cards against fraud. You are protected by:
State of the Art Fraud Detection System
Our state of the art technology will look for any unusual activity on your account in order to help protect you from fraud.
If your card is lost or stolen or likely to be misused, either at home or overseas, we provide 24 hour worldwide assistance. If you contact us immediately on 011 4472200 in Sri Lanka or +94 011 4472200 from overseas our staff will cancel your card(s) and will issue replacements immediately.
Chip cards are credit cards with an embedded microchip. These cards can store encrypted and confidential information, and therefore offer greater security than magnetic stripe cards.
Both chip and magnetic stripe cards are welcome by all merchants. The processing of a chip card is very similar to that of a magnetic stripe card. Merchants that are capable of handling chip cards will insert into the terminal instead of swiping the card. The cashier will keep the card in the terminal until a sales slip is printed out. Merchants that are yet to upgrade will continue to swipe the card through the terminal. In both cases, you will be asked to sign the sales slip to complete the transaction.
| General Points To Remember
- Let us know if your renewal card does not arrive a week before your old one expires.
- Let us know in advance if you plan to make any unusually large purchases or travel abroad.
- Make sure you always carefully check the entries on your statement. If you find any unexpected or incorrect transactions, contact us immediately.
- Never leave your card unattended anywhere. Protect it as if it were cash.
- If possible, try not to let your card out of sight during any transactions.
- Never allow anyone else access to your credit or debit card. If your card is borrowed by a family member (spouse, child, parent), with or without your consent, you, the cardholder, may be responsible for any transactions on it.
| Protecting Your PIN
Your PIN is personal to you. If you have any additional cardholders on your account, they will have their own PIN. Protect your PIN by following the tips below:
- Please memorise your PIN. If you would like to change it to something more memorable, you can do so at any of our ATM machines in Sri Lanka. To do this, insert your card at any HSBC ATM machine, select Other Services > Other Services > Change PIN and follow the instructions.
- When choosing your own PIN, avoid obvious or easily guessed numbers. Don't choose sequences such as 123456 or 111111.
- When using an ATM machine stand close to the PIN pad to avoid others seeing you enter your PIN.
- Don't write down or tell anyone your PIN/security information.
- Don't let anybody else use your PIN or enter it for you.
- Don't keep your card and PIN advice together.
- If you have lost/forgotten your PIN, you can request for a PIN by calling us on the hotline number appropriate to your card type.
- Never disclose your PIN when ordering by phone, mail order or using your card on the Internet.
| ATM Machine Usage
You can withdraw cash using your PIN at any ATM machine in Sri Lanka and abroad, which displays the MasterCard, Visa, Maestro or Cirrus symbol (Depending on your card type).
- On completing your transaction, put your money and card away quickly before leaving the ATM machine.
- If the ATM machine does not return your card when you expect it to, do not re-enter the PIN. Report it to the Bank immediately.
- Do not accept help from 'well-meaning' strangers and never allow yourself to be distracted.
- Be vigilant when using a cash machine. Call the Bank if you notice anything unusual.
| Keeping your Contact Details current
- We make every effort to protect you against fraud and may need to contact you quickly if we identify any suspicious activity on your cards. The best and quickest way for us to contact you is by mobile phone. Therefore keep us informed of your current contact details at all times by either updating them through Personal Internet Banking or by contacting us.
| Protecting your Card Online
- Register for Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode to make your online payments more secure.
- Click here to learn more about Verified by Visa
- You may often be asked to confirm the last 3 digits of the number printed on the signature panel on the reverse of your card. This number is unique to your card and is an additional security feature.
- Only access personal internet banking or shopping sites by typing in a web address. Never use a link from an email.
- Protect your PC by regularly updating your operating system and anti-virus software. For more information on online security visit our "Online Security" section.
- Don't respond to unsolicited emails that request personal or financial information. If you're suspicious of an email received that appears to be from HSBC, please forward it to the Bank. For more information on phishing, visit our "Online Security" section.
| Protecting your Card while Abroad
Before you leave the country
- Always consider taking more than one method of payment, e.g. HSBC debit card, HSBC credit card, cash and travelers' cheques.
- We monitor unusual transactions on your cards to help protect you and to prevent fraud. So let us know if you're going abroad. This will significantly reduce the chances of your transactions being referred or declined. However, this is not guaranteed.
- Make a note of HSBC's contact details before you leave the country so that you can contact us if you require our assistance while you're away.
Whilst you are overseas
- Protect your card in the way you would protect it when in Sri Lanka.
- Never leave your card unattended anywhere. Protect it as if it was cash.
- If your card is lost or stolen while you’re away, contact our 24-hour hotline +94 011 4472200.
- Be vigilant when using ATM machines and always protect your PIN.
- We monitor foreign transactions on your account to help protect you and to prevent fraud. It is possible that we will carry -out security checks on attempted overseas transactions. We apologies if this causes any inconvenience to you.
When you get back to Sri Lanka
- Make sure you always check carefully the entries on your statement. If you find any unexpected or incorrect transactions, contact us immediately on the hotline appropriate to your card type.
| Need more information?
For further information, please call our Customer Service Centre on 4 4722 77 or stop by at your nearest HSBC branch.You could also contact us via e- mail.