Education planning and support
We understand that education is a top priority for you and your family. Let us help you secure the best possible opportunities for your child to study abroad.
Our offerings at a glance
Open an account at your study destination before you travel, for free
Make international transfers via our Global View/Global Transfer service, for free
Get fee waivers and preferential exchange rates on Telegraphic Transfers
Enjoy priority consultancy services through our overseas consultants
Gain local knowledge on overseas markets
Access our emergency cash encashment services
Use our overseas appointment booking services
Make this your #YearofOpportunity
Take charge of your future today by exploring new education opportunities, even in a year of uncertainty.
Get cashback on your student visa fees
Open an HSBC Student File with us and get up to 100% cashback on your student visa fees.
How do I get started?
Every year, millions of students leave home to study abroad in countries such as Australia, the UK, Canada, the US, Malaysia and India.
The road to getting an international education may be long, but it doesn't have to be overwhelming. We're here to help both parents and students navigate the process.
Planning for an international education
Understanding your destination
Preparing for overseas study
Getting ready to depart
Living and studying abroad
How we can help you prepare for your child's study abroad
There's a lot to be done when planning and preparing for your child's overseas education. But with the help of our education partners, we can guide you through the process and make it less daunting.
Getting ready to study abroad
Before your child departs for their destination, we can help you:
- open an overseas account for them before they go
- set up a local HSBC bank account
- get access to a hassle-free loan secured by your existing HSBC relationship balance - this instant credit facility means you can fund your child's education without giving up the income you earn on your current deposits and investments
- open HSBC Premier Junior and HSBC Advance Savings Accounts to save more money for their future
Managing your finances overseas
Whether you're at home or abroad, you can bank without borders. Our services let you:
- see all your local and overseas accounts using our Global View service in online banking
- make fee-free transfers between any of your self-named HSBC accounts via our Global Transfer service in online banking
- access more than 24,000 HSBC ATMs worldwide, and more than 1 million ATMs via the Cirrus/Plus network
- manage your money around the clock with our 24-hour online and phone banking services
Getting emergency support
As an international bank, we're here to support you at home and abroad.
In the event of loss or theft, we can provide you with emergency cash of up to USD2,000 (or its equivalent in the local currency) instantly. We can also help with next day card replacement, or provide you with some expert advice for your situation.
Exclusive HSBC Premier benefits
If you're an HSBC Premier customer, you'll also have access to exclusive services such as:
- a Relationship Manager at your destination so you contact them directly if you encounter any issues
- fee-free cash withdrawals using your Premier Debit or ATM card at all Group ATMs
Worldwide HSBC Premier status
We operate in more than 64 countries/regions. So no matter where you are, you can enjoy Premier services and worldwide emergency support.
HSBC Premier credit cards and privileges
If you're an HSBC Premier customer, you can also apply for a supplementary HSBC Premier Mastercard on your children's behalf. That way, they can enjoy the same level of privileges and emergency* as you do*.
* Supplementary cardholders must be aged 16 or above.
To apply for HSBC Premier, you'll need to meet either of the following criteria:
- Maintain a total relationship balance of LKR7.5 Million deposit in Current/Savings/Time deposit accounts. This balance could be maintained in rupees or foreign currency equivalent to rupees or a combination
- Remit a minimum monthly salary of LKR500,000
If you're an HSBC Premier customer in another country/region, you're already eligible to join Premier in Sri Lanka - simply speak to your Relationship Manager.
To apply for HSBC Advance, you must be aged 18 or above and meet either of the following criteria:
- Have at least LKR500,000 in savings
- Remit a minimum monthly salary of LKR100,000
Apply for an account now
You don't need to visit a branch to open an HSBC Premier account. You could open your account from the safety and comfort of your home. Simply sign your account opening documents from anywhere, anytime and on any device securely with Live Sign.
HSBC Livesign is powered by Adobe, which is a cloud based service that replaces the ink and paper based signature process, with a fully automated electronic signature workflow.
Below balance fee
Please note that a below balance fee of LKR3,000 applies for each month that:
- your Total Relationship Balance is less than LKR7.5 million
- a salary of at least LKR500,000 has not been remitted
Please note that a below balance fee of LKR1,500 applies for each month that:
- Total relationship balance is less than LKR500,000
- a salary of at least LKR100,000 has not been remitted
Things you should take note of
Things that are good to know
See how we can lend a helping hand at each step of your journey.
Moving to Sri Lanka
Find out what you need to know about returning home or relocating to Sri Lanka for work.